Tuesday 16 April 2013

Bronze Age Warriors

 
Quite a few years ago or little group were into 'Warhammer Ancient Battles' rules and I must admit they revitalised or 25mm Ancient collections , this was also the era when 'Foundry' did some amazing army deals - really cheap ! (how times change). This prompted me to purchase 2 Bronze Age European armies , not the most popular choice but at that time I was actively involved in archaeology and this era fascinated me as it still does .
 
 
I did a lot of research into the dyeing and textiles preserved on various 'bog bodies' to get the right colours (there are a series of books by a Danish professor with wonderful name of  P.V. Glob !) and painted them up .Sadly they have not seen action for many years but I still  hold them in great affection, perhaps sometime in the future I will dig them out again and use them.  
 

8 comments:

  1. These look great, wonderfully unique units.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent stuff. I bought a lot of these on eBay but was put off by the lack of variety and the fact that both armies would look identical.

    I did paint two figures, I think.

    Maybe they could take on Grendel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes both being looking the same - that was a problem, gave them different unit standards. I did enjoy painting them though !

      Delete
  3. I too have some of these wonderful figures. I saw loads of Lur horns etc in the National Museum of Denmark and fell in love with this era of the Scandinavian Bronze Age.
    I too have the Glob book amongst others. I would really like to see a photo of your whole army. The range was so well based on artifacts I saw in museums and books I was just blown away by the figures...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will post some more photos of the chariots etc soon.

      Delete
  4. Now, that is something you don't see every day. Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. indeed, a great composition! Fine!
    Peter

    ReplyDelete