Saturday 2 March 2013

An Old Friend Revisited.



I was sorting out my bookshelves the other day and came across this rather battered slim volume , This book set me off painting ACW armies - a process still in motion to this day . Published by the now defunct Almark publications in December 1970 (soft back - I could not afford the hard backed edition back then) for the princely sum of  17s 6d or 87 and a half New Pence . In this age of the Internet and Amazon it is hard to imagine what a influence and resource this small book was to a beginner wargamer , colour prints of exotic Zouave uniforms and regimental organisation all thing almost impossible to find then but just a few taps on the keyboard now. It had me repainting my plastic Airfix ACW  collection and reinforcing it with numerous other units .Almark were a giant of the modelling- wargaming hobby back in the early 70s , but somehow just disappeared to be replaced by Blandford and Osprey, I had to wait a couple of years for the accompanying  ACW cavalry book to come out and the artillery one never appeared (click on photo to enlarge).

6 comments:

  1. The one they did on the WW2 German Army was re-printed a couple of years ago. Here's hoping some more of their titles get the same treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do appear on EBay now and again - I think they have stood the test of time .

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great book indeed.My dad brought me one home from John Menzies where he had bought it to help with my airfix painting when it was first published!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been lucky enough to pick up most of the old Almark books over the years - the late 19th Century German cavalry ones were the inspiration from my Franco-Prussian army.
    Almark also did a later version split between Union and Confederate Infantry in the late 70s in a larger format, but sadly I only have the Union Army one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes i have Union one somewhere - didn't know they did a Confederate one

      Delete
  5. Somewhere I have the advert when the published the Union one and announced the Confederate companion volume - but just done a web search and can't find anything, so maybe they never published it
    Ian

    ReplyDelete